Forensic Engineering is the art and science of
professional practice of those qualified to serve as
engineering experts in matters before courts of law or
arbitration proceedings. (Marvin Specter, founding
President of the National Academy of Forensic Engineers (NAFE)
HARTMAN ENGINEERING has presented evidence
as expert witness in numerous cases during the past 30 years.
These usually involve structural failure and it is necessary
to determine the cause. Evidence utilized in these
circumstances is acquired by thorough examination of designs,
construction methods, materials and field
The team of engineers and scientists at
HARTMAN ENGINEERING rely on their experience and
knowledge of construction methods, geology, chemistry,
metallurgy, and soil investigation to build a thorough
knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the situation in
Some of the cases that have been investigated
- Water infiltration in cofferdams.
- Collapse of cofferdams including one in Puerto
- Settlement of a building caused by a roadway embankment
constructed next to it.
- Collapse of a granite retaining wall in
- Failure of concrete retaining wall in
- Determination of whether the damage to a hardwood
factory floor was from wear and tear or from flooding caused
by a hurricane.
- Failure of bulkhead walls in Pennsylvania and
In these the client may be an owner,
contractor, material supplier, insurance company or attorney.